Share

Campus Buildings, Research Facilities, and Service Laboratories

The Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences operates in a total of 312 buildings on University Park campus. Information including descriptions and map links is listed below for some of the more prominent buildings, research facilities, and service laboratories on campus.

Campus Buildings

Ag Administration Building 

Built in 1972 with 5 floors and 38,046 sq ft, Ag Admin Building houses College of Agricultural Sciences Units such as the Dean's Office, Human Resources, Administrative Services, etc.

Ag Arena

Built in 1985, the Penn State Snider Agricultural Arena complex accommodates exhibitions, shows, meetings, and other large gatherings.

Built in 1940 with 3 floors and 44,581 sq ft, Ag Engineering Building houses the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department. Ag Engineering will undergo a major renovation beginning in 2016.

Arboretum

The Arboretum at Penn State strives to be a place of beauty and renewal, a venue for the arts, and a pathway to discovery and enrichment.  Its mission is to engage the academic strengths of the University in promoting scholarship and education about plants and their history and importance on earth.

Armsby Building

Built in 1905 with 4 floors and 25,824 sq ft, Armsby Building houses the Agricultural Economics, Sociology, and Education Department.

Armsby Calorimeter

The Armsby Calorimeter at Penn State was completed in 1902 and was used to perform experiments on the energy metabolism of cattle. In 1969 the calorimeter was converted to a museum, and in 1979 was named to the National Register of Historic Places.

ASI Building

Built in 1990 with 6 floors and 88,658 sq ft, the Agricultural Science and Industries Building houses Animal Science, Ecosystem Science and Management, Entomology, and Plant Science Departments.

Buckhout Lab

Built in 1930 with 5 floors and 34,534 sq ft, Buckhout Lab houses Plant Pathology and Environmental Microbiology Department.

Central Milk Testing Center

Built in 1970 with 1 floor and 5,196 sq ft, CMTL houses Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences.

Chemical Ecology Lab and Greenhouses

The Chemical Ecology Lab is located on Orchard Road near the main campus. Four faculty members have offices and labs at this location along with several postdocs and graduate students. A new greenhouse facility was recently added to the lab, providing space for research projects in a high-tech, state-of-the-art greenhouse environment. Additional greenhouse facilities and the Gypsy Moth Research Center are also located in this area.

Creamery

The Penn State Berkey Creamery's mission is to support the teaching, research and outreach programs of the Department of Food Science, to provide quality dairy products to students in on-campus housing, and to maintain an economically viable retail outlet for dairy products to the University community.

Entomology Museum

The Frost Entomological Museum collections currently represent regional insect biodiversity in the eastern United States. The research collection comprises more than 2,000,000 specimens of insects representing at least 15,000 species.

Ferguson Building

Built in 1939 with 3 floors and 17,035 sq ft, Ferguson houses Agricultural Economics, Sociology, and Education Department.

Food Science Building

Built in 2006 with 6 floors and 76,958 sq ft, the Erickson Food Science Building houses the Food Science Department as well as the Penn State Berkey Creamery

Forest Resources Building

Built in 2006 with 7 floors and 49,484 sq ft, the Forest Resources Building houses the Ecosystem Science and Management Department.

Forest Resources Lab

Built in 1965 with 4 floors and 23,546 sq ft, the Forest Resources Lab houses the Ecosystem Science and Management Department as well as the Pennsylvania Chapter of The American Chestnut Foundation.

Headhouses I and II

Built in 1961 and 1951 respectively, Headhouses I and II houses offices, classrooms, and teaching laboratories for the adjacent greenhouses.

Headhouse III

Built in 1961, Headhouse III primarily houses the Entomology Department as well as the Frost Entomology Museum.

Henning Building

Built in 1968 with 6 floors and 37,596 sq ft, Henning Building houses the Animal Science Department and the Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences Department.

Built in 1949 with 5 floors and 28,573 sq ft, Tyson houses Plant Science Department.

Research Facilities

The College supports agricultural research and extension facilities. These facilities provide research, extension, and/or teaching opportunities in agriculture.

Beef-Sheep Center

The Penn State Beef and Sheep Center is located on Orchard Road. The Center maintains an average of 75 Angus brood cows and their calves in addition to the herd sires and market cattle. Another 75 commercial Angus/Simmental cows are maintained at the Haller Farm location.

The Dairy Barns are located off of Park Avenue, directly across from Beaver Stadium. Approximately 500 animals are housed at the dairy facilities.

The Penn State Deer Research Center is located in a 22 acre fenced enclosure northeast of campus off of Big Hollow Road, and provides research and educational opportunities for students and faculty.

Forestland Management Office

The Penn State Forestland Management Office's forest management is guided by the Department of Ecosystem Science and Management's mission, the forests' biological conditions and more specifically the need for teaching, research, and demonstration opportunities.

Greenhouses

The College of Agricultural Sciences greenhouses and plant growth facilities are conveniently located adjacent to Tyson and Agricultural Sciences and Industries buildings on the Penn State campus, with a smaller satellite unit on University Drive.

Penn State's Equine Facilities include two horse barns with approximately 35 stalls, an indoor arena, a round pen, and paddocks and pastures.

Nearly 12 acres of plot land, mostly irrigated, have been established with various turfgrasses and landscape plantings.

The Mushroom Research Center provides unique facilities for conducting mushroom research.

The $6 million Poultry Education and Research Center consists of six separate buildings occupying about 50,000 square feet.

The Penn State Swine Center, with a herd of 65 sows, has about 500 animals available to contribute to teaching and research at Penn State.

The Center serves as the principle facility for turfgrass field research.

Service Laboratories

The facilities below provide research services to the College, the University, and the public.


Agricultural Analytical Services Lab

The Agricultural Analytical Services Laboratory provides a wide range of testing programs for soils, water, plants, biosolids and other agricultural materials.

Animal Diagnostic Lab

The Animal Diagnostic Laboratory is a full-service animal health diagnostic laboratory and research center.

Food Science Pilot Plants

The state-of-the-art Food Science Pilot Plants are designed for processing flexibility with an emphasis on product specialization. The facilities are used for teaching, research and industry projects.

Land Analysis Laboratory

A research, cooperative extension, and teaching facility specializing in the use of GIS and related advanced information system technologies for environmental assessment, agriculture, and land management and planning.

Meats Lab

The 16,000 sq ft Meats Lab is equipped for conducting livestock slaughter and meat cutting and processing in support of meats teaching, research and extension.

Mushroom Spawn Laboratory

The Mushroom Spawn Laboratory contains a culture collection of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus and researches the cultivated mushroom and problems related to its culture.

Sensory Evaluation Center

The Sensory Evaluation Center in the Penn State Department of Food Science has been conducting sensory evaluation and consumer tests for University researchers and food industries since 1972.