1. Go to the ENCS Help Center and logon as normal: https://pennstate.service-now.com/sp?id=sc_cat_item&sys_id=dcc34c6f0f194e00fe13f08ce1050ed6
  2. Select the option for "I would like new Teams Phone service or I would like to migrate to the Teams Phone service".

  3. Scroll down and find the URL at the bottom of the screen. Click that link and provide the necessary information.

    • Your name should auto fill but  you will need to enter your Department
    • In the Select Date box, choose the person's first date of employment
    • In the Description box, enter your County AG office or department, the name and PSU ID for the new employee that needs a phone number, include the Cost Center for billing.
  4. Click Submit Request at bottom when all information is entered. You will receive an email with the Request and/or Incident related to this request.

PSU's ENCS will reach out to you related to this inquiry.

You may also call 814-865-HELP(4357) for assistance.

May 2024