Share

West Virginia college recognizes Penn State faculty members

Posted: October 13, 2010

Three College of Agricultural Sciences faculty members will be honored by Potomac State College of West Virginia University for alumni achievement.

H. Louis Moore, professor of agricultural economics, Earl M. Kesler, professor emeritus of dairy science, and John Ziegler, professor emeritus of food science, will be recognized at Potomac State's homecoming banquet on Oct. 16. Located in Keyser, W.Va., Potomac State is a two-year, residential division of West Virginia University.

Following his graduation from Potomac State in 1950, Moore earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Penn State. He joined the College of Agricultural Sciences as an area marketing extension agent in 1955, based in Erie County. In 1958, he came to University Park as an extension economist focusing on agricultural marketing and policy. Since 1990, he also has been heavily involved in international agriculture, working with university and extension counterparts and government agencies in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet republics to help those countries adapt agricultural production to market-based economies.

A 1941 graduate of Potomac State, Kesler received his master's and doctoral degrees from Penn State, where he served 36 years in the college as professor of dairy science. He authored or co-authored more than 140 scientific publications and mentored 65 graduate students, many of whom went on to distinguished careers. Named a distinguished alumnus by both West Virginia University and Penn State's Department of Dairy and Animal Science, he has received various awards for volunteer service with Habitat for Humanity and other organizations.

John Ziegler graduated from Potomac State in 1948 with an associate's degree in agriculture before moving on to Penn State to earn bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. He was a faculty member in the former Department of Animal Science for 21 years and was instrumental in helping to create a formal food science program, which subsequently became the Food Science Department. He spent 12 years in Food Science, retiring in 1987. He has been a member of the American Meat Science Association, the American Society of Animal Science, the Institute of Food Technologists and the Pennsylvania Livestock Association.