How Do I... Create a QR Code for My Website
There isn't any magic behind the square graphic. It's simply a way to graphically encode a website or other address that allows you to easily get to that site with a smartphone or other mobile device.
One of the easiest ways to create a QR code (and track who's using it) is to use a URL shortener such as bit.ly.
To create the shortened URL and QR code:
- Go to http://bitly.com/
- Put the URL you want to shorten in the "Shorten Links Here" or blank box
- Click the "Shorten" button
- The page will now show the shortened link (for example, http://bit.ly/aBC123)
- To view the QR code image and see the statistics, click on the "Info Page+" text link
- To save the QR code image to your desktop, right click on it, and choose "Save Image As..." or "Save Picture As..."
You can then insert this image into your program or events brochures, product pages or anything else you want to share with the public about this website, event or product.
For some other examples of how QR codes are being used, take a look at this presentation by Stan Skrabut, Instructional Technology Educational Specialist at University of Wyoming.
If you do get a QR code implemented, please share the short URL(s) with us so we can see the click statistics! We're currently in the process of looking at possible uses for QR codes, and any usage data will be helpful.