Set up Quick Launch in Windows XP
Adding items to the Quick Launch area lets you access them easily with a single click. You can also move your Quick Launch to your desktop to free up space on your Taskbar. This also enables you to have larger icons.
How to set up Quick Launch
- To turn on Quick Launch, Right Click on the Start button.
- Click on Properties in the popup shortcut menu.
- Click on the Taskbar tab (if necessary).
- Click on Show Quick Launch .
- Uncheck the Lock the taskbar box so that you can create shortcuts to your files or programs.
- Make sure that Hide inactive icons is unchecked .
- Click on the OK button. (some standard icons may appear in the Quick Launch area).
- To place a new item in the Quick Launch area, Right Click on the file or program and drag the icon for that item to the Quick Launch area of the Taskbar and choose ' copy here ' in the subsequent shortcut menu (an item will be created and added to the area)
Move your Quick Launch to the Desktop
- The Taskbar MUST BE unlocked. To check, Right Click on a blank area of the Taskbar. Uncheck "Lock the Taskbar."
- Click and hold on the dots on the Taskbar (between the start menu and the Quick Launch area) and drag to your desktop. Move it where it works for you.