Set up High End Apple Printer on your Windows XP computer
Add an IP address to a LaserWriter
The Apple Printer Utility, which must be run from a Macintosh computer, will allow you to change the configuration settings of an Apple printer, such as the IP address.
- Launch the Apple Printer Utility.
- Select your printer and then click on Open Printer. A new dialog should appear.
- Click on Communication Configuration arrow.
- Now click on the TCP/IP Configuration arrow.
- Type in the Printer's IP address.
- County offices should use:
- NOTE: The following is provided as an example only but would apply in a county using a Netgear or DSL connection. If you have more than one printer to configure, reduce the IP address number by one. Examples: 192.168.1.252, 192.168.1.251, etc. The Subnet Mask and Gateway would stay the same.
- Note: Server counties will have specific numbers for their county. At the time of server installation, you will be given your network numbers. Please refer to them when you are assigning IP addresses to your printers. The range of numbers for your printers will begin at .10. Example: 192.168.14.10, the 2nd printer will be 192.168.14.11 and so on for other printers.
- Offices at University Park should use the IP number that has been assigned by computer support.
- Click the Send button to update the printer's Communication Configuration.
You should be able to print to it from Windows XP using an LPR port.
Configure Windows XP to print via an LPR port
- Click Start; then Printers and Faxes.
- Click Add a Printer. Click Next.
- Choose to add a "Local Printer attached to this computer".
- "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer " should NOT be checked.
- Click Next.
- Choose Create New Port and from the Type: drop down list choose LPR Port then click Next.
- If LPR Port is not listed, go to the Add an LPR Port section below, then return to this section to complete the install.
- Note: You will be prompted for the Printer Name or Address and the Name of Printer or Print Queue on that Server.
- Enter the IP Address of the Printer for the Name.
- Enter RAW for the Print Queue name. Click OK.
- Select Apple from left-hand pane. On right-side, select your printer. Ex: LaserWriter 16/600 PS
- Click Next.
- If prompted to replace or keep existing driver click on Keep Existing Driver. Click Next.
- Enter Printer Name and if you want it to be the default printer or not and then click Next.
- When asked if you want to share the printer, click NO. Click Next.
- Choose Yes to print a test page. Click Next. Click Finish.
- Go to the printer and see if the Test Page printed. If it did, you're good to go.
- When printing a test page has not been successful, try restarting the printer and/or the computer.
Add an LPR Port
- Start | Control Panels
- If necessary, switch to Classic View.
- Double-click on Add or Remove Programs.
- On the right side, click on Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Scroll down and locate Other Network File and Print Services.
- Check this Box and click Next.
- Allow the files to be installed.
- Click Finish.
- Close Add or Remove Programs and Control Panels.