Update QuickTime for Windows
Note: As of Nov 5, 2011 the current version of QuickTime is 7.7.3.
Note: These steps are written for College of Ag Science EN (Enterprise Network) Dell computers.
Note: If your account does not have Administrator rights to do installs, you will not be able to complete any of these steps. Please contact Computer Support via the Help Request form so that Ag IT staff can apply this update.
- Close all open applications.
Note: If installed, you can use the Apple Software Update program to update QuickTime.
- Click the Start menu and select Apple Software Update.
Note: If you don't see Apple Software Update, go to Step 4.
Note: Available updates will be shown in the top pane, for example QuickTime and iTunes. If "New Software" options are shown in the lower pane, example: Safari, you can ignore them.
- Click Install to download and install. If needed, choose Restart when updates are complete. You can then go to the "Configure QuickTime and Restart" section.
- Opening QuickTime will cause it to search for updates or you can manually check for Updates. Click Start, All Programs, the
QuickTime folder, and then QuickTime Player.
- If you see a message informing you that an update is available, click OK.
- You should be taken to Apple's site to download QuickTime. Follow their steps to download and install QuickTime. Accept all defaults. (If asked, you should install the Apple Software Update software). Click Finish when done. If asked to upgrade, click No Thanks!.
- You can then go to the "Configure QuickTime and Restart" section.
Configure QuickTime and Restart
- After the installer finishes, on the desktop, Double-click on the QuickTime Player shortcut.
- From the Edit menu choose Preferences then select QuickTime Preferences.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Tray Icon section, UN-check the Install QuickTime icon in system tray check box. Click OK.
- Close the QuickTime Player.
- The installer placed QuickTime shortcuts on your Desktop and in your Quick Launch toolbar. You may delete these if desired.
- Restart the computer.
- You should now be able to use QuickTime.