Edit a Document in a SharePoint Document Library (SharePoint 2007)
SharePoint works best with Internet Explorer.
When a person needs to edit a document on a SharePoint site, they should follow these steps.
This should work more smoothly, allow only one person to edit at a time, and keep from having to rename the file to save changes which becomes confusing with several files with different data.
Edit a Document in a SharePoint Document Library
- Using Internet Explorer, go to the SharePoint site and log in.
- Click on the heading for "Document Library" to go to the Document Library page.
- Move your mouse over the filename in the listing of the file you wish to edit.
- Click the triangle on the right to see the drop down list.
- Select "Checkout".
- Click again to select the file. It should open in the appropriate application.
- Enter your password if asked when the file is opening.
- If prompted with an Edit Offline dialog gox, click OK.
- Edit the file as desired.
- Save the document.
- Close the file and you should be prompted to check it back in, click Yes.
- NOTE: If you do not get prompted to check the file in, you will need to reurn to SharePoint to check it in.