Akbar holds a B.S. from The DeVry University in I.T. and M.Ed. in Instructional Design and Technology from West Texas A&M University. For Nine years, he served as the district technology specialist and operation manager for TJMAXX. From 2000 to 2004, Akbar owned a multimedia company and worked as a computer support consultant.
Akbar’s responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the implementation and delivery of the college's e-learning portfolio
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations for the eLearning office including the management of the eLearning budget
- Designing a custom instructional design and development methodology to drive the college's eLearning efforts
- Assisting faculty members articulate measurable course objectives, and then identifying, developing, and implementing appropriate technology/instructional solutions that will prepare students to reach those objectives in an e-learning environment
- Advising faculty and staff about best practices in e-learning