New Features in AgSci Plone Sites
Posted: September 23, 2010
The Web Services team is continuously updating the Plone CMS with new features and functionality. These are some of the changes that affect you.
We reconfigured how the fields are presented on the "edit" screen for Events to make it less confusing:
- Removed the "Attendees" field, since it was not being used
- Moved the contact information under the "Location" fields and above the text editor to present all the meta-data in one place
- Moved the "Event Types" field to the "Categorization" tab to be consistent with other object types
- Added a "Map To Location" link field under the "Location" field that can be used to provide a link to a Google Maps map. The "Where" field on the event detail will now link to that URL, if available.
- Tweaked the way the start/end dates behave to make it similar to Outlook or other calendaring programs.
We added some new fields, hid some unused tabs, and restricted the "Image" field:
- Added a Social Media tab so users can provide links to their Twitter, Facebook, or Linked In pages
- Hid some extraneous tabs from non-Personnel Managers
- Restricted the "Image" field to Personnel managers to ensure that only quality portraits are used
All Content Types
Restricted the "Short Name" field (if available) to "edit" screens only, and removed it from the "add" screen. In most cases, the short name that Plone generates is sufficient, and should not be changed.
The "Exclude from navigation" checkbox is now checked by default on links. Generally, people use links as the body of the folder, not in the left navigation. This change saves a few clicks when creating links.