A. The Sustainable Agriculture Club strives to help the Penn State Community better understand the importance of sustainable agriculture. This is advocated through educational community programs and activities.
A. Membership in the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club is reserved for persons who are interested in making a positive sustainable difference within the PSU community.
B. The majority (50%+1 of the active membership) shall be awarded to any undergraduate students registered within the University, and faculty and staff currently employed by this University.
C. There must be at least 10 active members at all times.
1. Active members of the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club shall comprise of the General Assembly and shall be accorded voting rights, preside, officiate, or solicit funding on the organization’s behalf.
2. All members must uphold the Constitution of the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club,
D. The Club reserves the right to expel a member who is not following the policies of the organization with a super majority vote of attending members – quorum is 75% of active members.
III. New Membership and Recruitment
A. Any and all new members will be given full disclosure during recruitment, including but not limited to the disclosure of:
1. New Membership Manual
2. Schedule of New Member Events and Activities
3. A list of responsibilities
4. A definition of personal rights, and a copy of the University Hazing policy, prescribed by Policies and Rules for Student Organizations.
All of these documents will be available upon request by the USG Supreme Court.
B. All members, including but not limited to new members and recruits, reserve the right to refrain from participating in any activities without consequence, based upon personal/religious beliefs, personal values, or moral reserve as defined by the member.
C. Any and all interaction/activity between members and/or new members will be limited to guidelines stated by university policy, as well as local, state, and federal laws.
D. The Sustainable Agriculture Club may not restrict membership based on characteristics of a student, which are intrinsic to the identity of that student, and are not essential to the potential value of that student as a member of the Sustainable Agriculture Club and the Penn State University at large.
A. Only full-time, officially registered active student members shall be eligible to serve as appointed or elected officers in the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club. Further limitations are subject to USG Supreme Court/GSA Judiciary Committee approval.
1. The President is the spokesperson for the organization.
a. The President of the Sustainable Agriculture Club will preside at all meetings and is therefore ultimately responsible for the overall operation of the entire organization.
b. The President shall have the right to delegate any responsibility, with the majority consent of the General Assembly, to anyone within the organization.
2. The Vice-President shall serve as the President when the President is unable to do so.
a. The Vice-President of the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club shall, with the advice of the General Assembly, determine the scheduling, procedures, and rules of the activities and programs.
b. The Vice-President is responsible for keeping good relations with any other organizations or persons that help the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club activities or programs.
3. The Treasurer shall be charged with handling all organizational finances.
4. The Secretary is responsible for all record keeping and archiving for the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club.
a. The Secretary is responsible for keeping accurate, up-to-date attendance records and minutes from all meetings.
b. The Secretary is responsible for writing letters addressed from the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club.
C. Filling unexpired vacancies.
1. Nominations are taken at the meeting following vacancy. Elections also occur at this meeting.
2. If a majority (50%+1) is not obtained by any of the candidate receiving the lowest number of votes is eliminated, and the active members shall vote again.
3. When nominations are being taken to fill unexpired terms, any member of the organization may nominate another member of the organization by simply raising his/her hand and indicating such when recognized.
A. The PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club will meet at least on a biweekly basis.
B. The President, with the consent of the General Assembly, may change the meeting frequency.
C. Adequate advance notice must be given to all active members.
D. Members shall be notified of all meetings by e-mail.
A. Only active members may vote.
B. Quorum for all voting shall be thirty-three percent (33%) of the active membership.
C. A simple majority (50%+1) shall be necessary for all voting. This majority shall be derived from the active members present.
A. All organizational funds must be deposited and handled through the Associated Student Activities (ASA) in 240 HUB.
B. The PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club shall collect dues that will not be excessive.
C. The Treasurer, with consent of the President, will determine dues.
D. Dues will be collected every fall and spring semester.
A. Nominations and elections shall take place at the last two meetings of the fall semester.
B. These meetings will be publicized in the meetings preceding it and by e-mail.
C. Election Codes:
1. Any member may nominate an active member for any office by raising his/her hand at the appropriate time and being recognized by the presiding official. Next, the active members shall cast secret, written ballots for the candidate of their choice. Each active member shall have one vote per office.
2. If 50%+1 cannot be obtained, the candidate with the lowest number of votes shall be dropped from consideration, and the active members shall vote again.
3. In the event of a tie, the ballot will be recast.
4. No member involved in conducting elections may be an official candidate.
D. All officers serve for a term of one year, beginning in the month following elections and ending the month of elections. (For exceptions, view Amendment 1)
IX. Amendments to the Constitution
A. Amendments to this Constitution may be created when needed to revise, update, or add to the basic guidelines of the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club.
B. An amendment to this Constitution may be proposed, in writing, at any time to the President.
C. At the second meeting of every semester, time will be set aside for the proposed amendment to be discussed and debated. If a two-thirds majority feels the proposed amendment should be formally considered, the proposed amendment shall be discussed and debated at the next mandatory meeting of the General Assembly. If two-thirds of the General Assembly approve, then the newly ratified amendment will be added to the Constitution under the heading List of Amendments.
D. If the proposed amendment is rejected through the above-stated process, it may not be proposed again until the following spring or fall semester.
E. All amendments are subject to the approval of the USG Supreme Court/GSA Judiciary Committee.
X. Parliamentary Authority
A. Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised. by Sarah Corbin Roberts shall be used in all cases not covered by this constitution.
XI. Accessibility of this Constitution
A. Copies of this constitution shall be made available to anyone upon request.
A. The Sustainable Agriculture Club must retain an advisor(s) that is/are full-time Penn State University employee/s.
B. All advisors must be a part of the University and will sign a statement acknowledging his/her responsibilities.
XIII. Safety Considerations
A. The Sustainable Agriculture Club will also abide by the following safety guidelines.
1. No member will use any undue force in any contact activity.
2. Members will not use any weapons in conjunction with the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club’s activities.
3. All members will use safety equipment as outlined in our Participation Waiver during all PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club Activity.
4. The PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club will abide by the Penn State Department of Health and Safety’s current version of Safety Considerations for Registered Organizations.
B. Members are required to acknowledge and abide by all of the safety considerations, and to sign a participation waiver as a condition of membership. Any violation of stated guidelines is grounds for immediate dismissal from the PSU Sustainable Agriculture Club.