Share

Forestry Program

How did students learn forestry practices in the early 1900's?
Saw mill at old Forestry Building, West Campus, 1913

Saw mill at old Forestry Building, West Campus, 1913

The School of Forest Resources was first established in 1907, which was four years after the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy had been established in Mont Alto. Later, the Forest Academy would be absorbed by the SFR in 1929. Old promotional brochures from the SFR gave specifics about the Farm Forestry major in which students had the opportunity to work in 200 acres of woodlots owned by the university, as well as state forest lands. During this time, students would actually live in the woodlots for eight weeks during the summer, sleeping in tents at night, and studying logging methods, forest surveying, and saw mill operations during the day. Opportunities for these graduates at the time included forestry extension agents, forest rangers, lumber sales, and saw mill operators.